Practice is the way to get better at anything. Homework is practice. You should practice (i.e. do homework) for 10-15 minutes a night.
Students are assigned homework in class to give them guidance as to what they should be practicing at home to improve their Spanish. The homework assignment is written on the Smart Board when they walk in and is reviewed before they leave class. It is the student's responsibility to write the assignment down in their planners.
If by chance the student forgot to write the homework down, they can still do homework practice by doing one of the following:
A. Review the 'Diccionario' page.
1. Draw any new words you were given in class or review old words and draw those you still need to remember.
2. Check with a family member to make sure the drawing makes sense. (Ask them if they can tell what word the picture
is supposed to represent.)
3. Cover the words and see if you can say them in Spanish by just looking at the pictures.
B. Review the 'Yo puedo...' sheet for the current chapter OR any old chapter.
1. Read the 'Yo puedo...' statements and if you know them say the phrase out loud. (Saying it to yourself does not count!)
2. If you can say the phrase (without hesitation or checking notes), check one of the boxes below the statement.
3. If you cannot say the phrase (or say it with hesitation), don't check it. Instead, find out how to say it (check your notes, call a friend, ask in class the next day) and try again the next night.
4. Review the 'Yo puedo...' statements the next night and if you still remember how to say the phrases (out loud), give
yourself another check.
5. Continue each night until you have five checks beneath each of the 'Yo puedo...' phrases.
6. Once you have five checks on all your 'Yo puedo...' phrases, tell your teacher you are ready for a peer quiz.
7. Ask a Family members to ask you the phrases from the 'Yo puedo...' sheet and repeat the answers to them.
C. Go to the 'Test Preparation' page of the chapter you are working on (see the page for your class level) and do some of the activities.